• Chat

Sticky sax keys

images sticky sax keys

Having said that, it's something that affects players in varying degrees. A combination of these two factors over a period of time can lead to a build-up of general crud on the pads and the tonehole rims. Some hardly notice the occasional sticky pad, others find it compromises the playability of their instrument to such an extent that it's almost impossible to rely on the instrument in any real capacity. The truth of the matter is they make a hell of a mess and eventually exacerbate the problem. Slowly and gently drag the cloth out. Well, you'd have thought the solution would be to replace the pad - and where the pad is old and evidently worn this is often the best recourse - but more often than not the pad that sticks is in good shape Traditionally this involves slipping a dollar bill over the tone hole, pressing the key cup lightly down and pulling the bill out. So what's the answer? The most common and widely available are the powders. I feel duty bound to point out that lighter fluid is highly flammable - so please bear that in mind if you decide it would be a neat idea to ungunk your pads before a blazing log fire.

• Curing sticky pads

• The G# key is one of those keys that is always closed unless the button is I'm just learning sax and sticky keys were a big problem for me too.

Does your saxophone have sticking keys that make it difficult to play? The first point would be to not eat or drink before or while you play saxophone. Hey, I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem, but on my saxophone, my G# key probably sticks about 40% of the time!

I've gone through a.
    Sax pads often suffer from an excess of dried saliva deposits, and you might well find that a cottonbud soaked in a little saliva will be the best cleaning method. Granted, most of the moisture found in the bore of an instrument is condensation - but it carries with it fats and sugars that have been dissolved in the airstream. If the tonehole rim or its corresponding impression in the pad looks a little green then it's a given that you have verdigris contamination verdigris is a form of corrosion that attacks brass and other copper-based metals.

Curing sticky pads

Martin toneholes Emergency pad repair Low A bari extension Making a springhook Soprano sax octave key spring. These methods work, but are best used sparingly because of the associated risks of damaging the pad. Such treatments are analogous to spilling a glass of beer on your kitchen floor and cleaning it up by throwing powder or oil on it, and hoping it goes away.

images sticky sax keys
    WOMEN SEEKING MEN LONDON
    This is typically seen on BisBb and G keys, where the key's spring is rather too lightly tensioned.

Traditionally this involves slipping a dollar bill over the tone hole, pressing the key cup lightly down and pulling the bill out. Some hardly notice the occasional sticky pad, others find it compromises the playability of their instrument to such an extent that it's almost impossible to rely on the instrument in any real capacity. See the Lab Test pages for further details.

I would consider the above factors to be 'chemical' in nature - there are 'mechanical' factors than can lead to sticky pad problems too.

Every time I open the case and finger my horn, an average of two keys are sticking, and not frequently sticky keys have started to stick as well.

Some hardly notice the occasional sticky pad, others find it compromises the This is typically seen on BisBb and G# keys, where the key's spring is rather too Sax pads often suffer from an excess of dried saliva deposits, and you might well.

Video: Sticky sax keys Mix - Sticky Keys: Saxophone Instrument Repair

But, the soprano sax G# key pad is notoriously sticky. The Low C# is also prone to sticking.

images sticky sax keys

Why do soprano sax keys stick so much? Soprano.
    Granted, most of the moisture found in the bore of an instrument is condensation - but it carries with it fats and sugars that have been dissolved in the airstream.

Video: Sticky sax keys How to stop sticky G# sax key pads and extend pad life

That's a very great deal more lighter fluid than you'll be likely to apply to a pad in its lifetime - and yet the leather shows no sign of disintegrating. It's worth pointing out that this method can shorten the life of a skin pad - so you might well find it enough to merely press the key down onto the moistened cloth and leave it at that.

A combination of these two factors over a period of time can lead to a build-up of general crud on the pads and the tonehole rims.

Typically these are oils - such as neatsfoot.

images sticky sax keys

images sticky sax keys
    How to make a girl smile using words
    Granted, most of the moisture found in the bore of an instrument is condensation - but it carries with it fats and sugars that have been dissolved in the airstream.

Essentially these are little more than talc, the theory being that they absorb the gunk that collects on the pad and provide a means of dry lubrication. Another factor than can cause a pad to stick is excessive natural oil present in the pad skin - a problem mainly confined to new pads of the cheaper variety.

I feel duty bound to point out that lighter fluid is highly flammable - so please bear that in mind if you decide it would be a neat idea to ungunk your pads before a blazing log fire.

You may have to make a couple of applications if the pad is particularly gummed up - and if it's that bad then maybe it really is time to have it replaced.

Also the high palm keys can get sticky as well.

If you clean your saxophone regularly you probably won't face this problem as much as I do. Key Leaves products are the best way to fix sticky saxophone key pads including G#, Eb and C#. Key Leaves help you quickly leave keys open to dry, extending. This post is part of a special column titled “Ask a Saxophone Repairman” with answers supplied by our resident repair whiz, Matt Stohrer of Stohrer Music.
    It's worth pointing out that this method can shorten the life of a skin pad - so you might well find it enough to merely press the key down onto the moistened cloth and leave it at that.

Having said that, it's something that affects players in varying degrees. I've often seen comments to the effect that lighter fluid will harm the pads, the reason given that it "dries out the leather's natural oils". The problem is the oil itself can contribute to the stickiness, and the goo present in the condensation can still deposit itself on the pad whether it's waterproof or not. Traditionally this involves slipping a dollar bill over the tone hole, pressing the key cup lightly down and pulling the bill out.

If the tonehole rim or its corresponding impression in the pad looks a little green then it's a given that you have verdigris contamination verdigris is a form of corrosion that attacks brass and other copper-based metals.

images sticky sax keys
    EGOTISTICAL MANIAC DEFINITION
    Well, you'd have thought the solution would be to replace the pad - and where the pad is old and evidently worn this is often the best recourse - but more often than not the pad that sticks is in good shape Granted, most of the moisture found in the bore of an instrument is condensation - but it carries with it fats and sugars that have been dissolved in the airstream.

This is typically seen on BisBb and G keys, where the key's spring is rather too lightly tensioned. That's a very great deal more lighter fluid than you'll be likely to apply to a pad in its lifetime - and yet the leather shows no sign of disintegrating.

images sticky sax keys

Another factor than can cause a pad to stick is excessive natural oil present in the pad skin - a problem mainly confined to new pads of the cheaper variety.

3 comments

• Kijinn

The most likely reason is insufficient spring strength. Pick three out of that list and try not to do them before playing.

• Gujar

You might be surprised at how common a fault this is, and where rolled or wide i. Slowly and gently drag the cloth out.

• Mozshura

These methods work, but are best used sparingly because of the associated risks of damaging the pad.