• Chat

Why is it called a wife beater

images why is it called a wife beater

I have also never in my life heard the term "A-shirt". Both the fashion trend and the nomenclature seem to have settled in for an extended stay, but I wouldn't get too comfortable with either. Three s sources show that literal wife-beaters were already associated with wearing just undershirts by then. Often, when a knight lost their armor and continued to fight successfully, they were referred to as a waif beater waif, referring to an abandoned or lost individual. Obviously they aren't called wifebeaters on the package. Boy beater redirects here, but the article gives no definition of it a female version of a wife beater. Currently voted the best answer. Kinda similar to starwars planes, X-wing, Y-wing, and A-wing.

• What is the origin of the term wife beater shirt

• What do you call a certain kind of a white sleeveless shirt?

You know the one. Maybe you saw Miley Cyrus wearing one in her "Wrecking Ball". Originally Answered: Why do they call it "wife beater"? It goes back to about the 's when that type of dirty sleeveless undershirt was worn in silent movies to.

And yet, we somehow overlook the same when we call our shirts wife beaters. How did such a graphically violent term insinuate itself into.
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Whatever reason you may have for talking about 'beaters, or gasp!

Other colours are not referred to as a wife beater. Nothing offensive about it.

I personally coined this term in or in reference to a friend's date who was wearing said shirt. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site the association bonus does not count.

Video: Why is it called a wife beater Dashing Comedy 5: Wife Beaters... Why?

ZOOSK HOW TO LOGIN TO MY ACCOUNT
    Conventional wisdom depicts the wife beater as a lower class, beer-drinking, undershirt-wearing, Stanley Kowalski brute New Woman says: Whether I was the first, I don't know but it was original to me when I first said it.

I've known a wifebeater only as a white sleeveless undershirt, basically just what DeNiro is wearing in the picture, not just any tank top.

Questions Tags Users Badges Unanswered. If you are committed on renaming the page, I think it would make much more sense to rename it with Tank top, as everyone knows what a Tank top is, and is not offensive Sure, they're called wifebeaters informally, but they are not sold or marketed as such.

Jed was a wearing a wifebeater to show off his new tattoos.

It is named wife beater after Marlon Brando's character, Stanley Kowalski, who wore one during. Wife-beater, wifebeater, and wife beater may refer to: a type of sleeveless shirt; a person who abuses their wife (domestic violence); Nickname for alcoholic drinks reputed to arouse pugnacity: Rum, called "the golden wifebeater"; Stella Artois, sometimes called "Wife.

It has been proposed below that Wifebeater (shirt) be renamed and moved to A- shirt. Contents. 1 From article; 2 General; 3 A Streetcar Named Desire; 4 Stella.
    Currently voted the best answer.

The Silent Crisis says: And there are actually some companies that do refer to the garment as "wifebeater" on their websites. I said "be careful, he's wearing a wife beater shirt. Conventional wisdom depicts the wife beater as a lower class, beer- drinking, undershirt-wearing brute Wife Beating Law and Society Confront the Castle Door Gonzaga Law Reviews says: Boy beater redirects here, but the article gives no definition of it a female version of a wife beater.

Synonym for dating a person
    Of course a singlet or A-shirt being from New Zealand I've never heard of this term isn't going to marketed as a wifebeater - it's inappropriate.

If you were to pick up a stick and call it a wife-beater, there's implied violence. The name wife beater is growing more and more popular, raising the concerns of many victims' rights groups that naming a popular article of clothing after an incident of domestic violence desensitizes young people to violence against women.

It answers "nd how is it so commonly accepted without implying the more literal meaning?

What is the origin of the term wife beater shirt

So it was frowned upon to some degree. Both the fashion trend and the nomenclature seem to have settled in for an extended stay, but I wouldn't get too comfortable with either. I'm 67 years old, and I heard the expression today for the first time.

5 comments

• Yozshumuro

If I came across this name, I would have no idea what it is. We ask our submitters to thoroughly research questions and provide sources where possible.

• Voshicage

Its reputation comes from those wearing the shirts while engaged in domestic violence I think the TV show "COPS" had a lot do with the creation of this word. Conventional wisdom depicts the wife beater as a lower class, beer- drinking, undershirt-wearing brute.

• Akinozil

Conventional wisdom depicts the wife beater as a lower class, beer-drinking, undershirt-wearing, Stanley Kowalski brute New Woman says: